Monday, March 22, 2010

Finding My Groove: From the Dark Green Forests, to the Cold White Arctic



I have this vision for myself when I write. I see myself in a small cabin surrounded by kilometres and kilometres of dark green forests, and the subtle sounds of birds singing so eloquently that their songs can only be heard if I listen for them. I imagine I am sitting at my desk in front of a large picture window. Occasionally I glance out the window, just one look rejuvenates me. The words I write always illustrate the great freedom I am feeling every time I breathe the inspiring tranquility that surrounds me. This imagery is all I need to keep my pen to my paper, or my fingers to the keys. The environment I write in can be anywhere: a busy office or cubicle, a crowded noisy library, my personal office at home or even on a big bus with a notepad. There is something liberating for me that emanates from blank pages that will soon be covered in words. Writing feels like freedom. Sharing my words with others is exciting. I write in hopes that readers will experience the same feelings I did when I filled those blank pages one thought at a time.


Writing is not merely mushy feelings and birds singing; there are many types of writing. I recall writing an essay on climate change and not knowing anything about the topic. In order to simplify the topic I decided to narrow my perspective slightly and focus on a specific issue of climate change: polar bears. I was always fascinated with their massive size and their intimidating presence. I find something courageous about an animal trekking alone in the cold blowing snow of Earth’s most northern region, trusting itself to go the right direction with every step it takes. By narrowing my topic in the essay from climate change, to the effects of climate change on polar bears, the essay suddenly seemed more manageable. Like the polar bear navigating through the Arctic with a purpose, I now had a direction; I was no longer wandering.


As I began my research, the proverbial doors began to open. One fact led to another fact and in a very short period of time, the essay was practically writing itself. This left me with a great feeling. I began the essay early, so I would have time to revise, and it was a good choice. By the time I handed the work in, my essay was a representation of the dedication I used to write it. My final mark on the essay was 85 percent (I think!). At the risk of sounding cliché, I remember the feeling of accomplishment I got when the instructor handed back my work. I felt I did a great job and so did she. The instructor even asked me to email her a copy so she could use it as an example in her future classes.


Looking back on the essay in the above example, I realize I was enjoying the work because I focused on what I wanted to accomplish. Realizing any goal means knowing what you want to accomplish. Focusing on what I want automatically sets my pace and forces me into the type of groove that inspired this page of words. I look forward to the many blank pages that await me tomorrow.

1 comment: